Compassionate Psychological Care
Finding Love Online
Once you leave college and are thrown into full time "adulting", finding love can be challenging. A full time job, paying bills and managing money becomes your new reality,. Those carefree days of sorority formals and tailgating with your buddies are distant memories.
Finding love online is the new norm. Many busy working professionals have no energy for dining alone in a crowded bar, hoping the stars align and his or her sole mate finds the adjacent seat. Dating online has allowed people to shop for a potential mate without having to wait for Tuesday's Happy Hour. It forces singles to put themselves out there and share with the online world.
The dating game has a variety of modern differences from yesterday's generation of dates. Some quick tips to get you prepared:
1) Choose your dating website carefully. Take time to research the apps available and sites to determine what might fit you the best. Free sites are popular but can also come with different expectations. Be prepared to pay for a profile.
2) Profile pictures are everything, (well ... almost everything) Write down a list of 5 adjectives that describe you and let the pictures reveal who you are. For example if you are a dog lover make sure you put a picture of you and your precious pooch.
3) Create a great profile. Take time to think about who you are and who you are seeking and put that in a masterpiece of literature. Get creative and get noticed! For example "If marshmallows were the last food on the planet, I would be happy."
4) Commit, commit, commit. Add the app to your phone and check it several times a day. "You can't win if you don't play." If finding a relationship is what you want make sure you are doing everything you can to find one.
5) Be Patient with yourself and the process. You will get rejected, believe me. It may take many dates before your destiny, but hang in there as the pay off could be incredible!
Christeen Noonan LCPC, CADC
Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor
A consumer and success story of online dating